The XD driver body was invented with the introduction of XX1 5 years ago. Today, XD is offered by over 250 major wheel and hub makers, and can often be added to your wheels by buying an XD driver body from your hub manufacturer. XD is used on all XX1, X01, X1, GX and XX1 Eagle, X01 Eagle, and GX Eagle cassettes. The XD driver body provides several advantages:
- It allows the use of a 10 tooth cog which provides significantly larger gear range than an 11 tooth.
- It supports the cassette significantly better, especially in the large and small cogs. This improves bearing and axle durability of your hubs. The XD driver body is also lighter than a traditional driver body.
- It eliminates damage that often occurs on aluminum driver bodies with traditional cassettes.
- XD cassettes are installed and removed using standard tools and practices.
- The XD hub allows the manufacturing of much lighter cassettes, with significantly larger gear ranges than traditional cassettes.
The XDR driver is slightly longer than an XD driver, made for Road specific 11 speed rear wheels; it occupies the same space as an 11 speed HG road driver. The XDR driver allows the above MTB cassettes to be installed on a wheel that is spaced and dished for 11 speed road when used with a 1.85mm spacer behind the cassette.