There is a difference in spindle length for Road cranks VS MTB cranks. Road crank spindles are shorter than MTB spindles and will not fit MTB frames. Whereas MTB cranks will generally fit road frames with the addition of spacers that are included with aftermarket GXP, BB30, and PF30 bottom brackets. There are some exceptions to this with the road specific BB386 and BBRight compatible cranksets.
Articles in this section
- Will my road crank fit my MTB, or my MTB crank fit on my road/cross bike?
- My crank arm keeps falling off even after I re-install it to proper torque. What is going on?
- I’m not sure what bottom bracket type I have, but I have measurements from my frame. Can you tell me what works?
- Just got a new crank and it came with some spacers. How do I know where they go, and how do I install my new crankset?
- I have installed my GXP bottom bracket, but there is space between the spider and dive side bearing. Is this normal?
- My Omnium crank comes really close to my frame’s chainstay and/or the chain is not straight. Can I space the crank out using spacers to change the chain line?
- My crankset came with pedal washers. Do I really need to use them?
- I want to use a Direct Mount 1x chainring with my direct mount capable crankset. What offset chainring do I need?